Subject: Re: [Leica] Interesting Leica news
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 15:55:28 -0800

>It turns out that the key to the quietness of the Leica M shutter is not
>just the level of the sound, but also it's frequency distribution.  With
>the recent popularity in rangefinder cameras (offerings from
>Cosina/Voigtländer and Konica just to mention two), Leica has apparently
>decided it needs to take steps to preserve that which is uniquely Leica
>about their cameras (in addition to the level of craftsmanship).  If I
>understand correctly, they've used some pretty sophisticated audio analysis
>software to exactly pinpoint what it is about the Leica shutter sound that
>makes it so unique (there are some German technical terms there that I'm
>not even going to attempt to translate).
>
>M.

martin and other lugfolk,

there was an article in chasseur d'images a couple of months ago, comparing
the 'quietness' of the various 'quiet' cameras, the leica m among them. it
turns out that the m was the second quietest of the bunch; the 'classic'
konica hexar took the first prize. with its 'silent mode' it out m'ed the m.

guy