Subject: Re: [Leica] leica greetings....
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 20:07:33 -0500

Dave Richards wrote:

> I don't think this is entirely fair.  Anyone, whether they be celebrity or
> commoners like us, should have the right to say whether or not they are
> photographed.  The law may hold that a person in the public eye gives up
> the right to some forms of privacy, but I believe that that right is never
> relinquished.  I also believe that respecting a person also means
> respecting their beliefs and wishes.
>
> >Carl Socolow jotted down the following:
> >
> >> APPARENTLY Cartier-Bresson is a real bastard about being photographed. I
> >> BELIEVE...  Also, I recall an ANECDOTE...
> >>
> >> I do admire his work but this behavior has somewhat tainted my
> perception of
> >> him as a human being.
> >>

> >(my capitalization)
> >
> >M.

Dave,

I entirely agree. I'm just saying that it's a bit hypocritical on HCB's
part to protest too much. I've been enjoying reading some of his essays
in The Mind's Eye which shed some insight into his mindset and working
methods. It's interesting to see some of the politics and issues he had
to endure to gain access; particularly in China and Russia in the 1950s.

Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/
New email address: csocolow@mindspring.com