Subject: Re: [Leica] leica greetings....
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 12:50:38 +0100

on 1/4/00 7:21 pm, Kyle Cassidy at cassidy@netaxs.com wrote:

> a while back i was at an Event photographing a politican and at the Event,
> photographing the same politician, there's a guy with a contax G2 -- i
> assume he's a shooter for some local rag, i'm shooting with my m6 and a
> diana (don't ask me why). but i see this guy w/ the g2 and i'm like, "hey,
> another rangefinder dude," so i smile, lift my camera to my eye to grab a
> shot of him and his contax and he puts his hand out in front of my lens
> and says very sternly and matter-of-factly "do not photograph me."

To which the correct 'etiquette' is take the camera away from your eye (and
his hand) and then fire the shutter release several times as obviously as
possible.

I was once photographing in Toronto when a woman who strayed into frame said
'it is illegal to photograph a person in this country without their
permission'. It bugged me (because it was wrong... even in Quebec, it's not
ILLEGAL or even a tort to photograph someone in a public place without their
permission... though if you publish the shot you may be liable ... hmmm..
glad I'm not moving to Montreal, then) so much I wanted to pursue her down
the street, shooting continually while explaining the ethics and legalities.

Probably just as well I didn't.

Whereas if someone says nicely 'please don't'... well, you stop, don't you?

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com