Subject: Re: [Leica] Forget about depth of field scales
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:12:27 -0700

Mitch! Mitch! Mitch!
Personally, and I don't mean to be critical, and start a flame war, but
instead of scraching my ass and wondering which 'zone' to focus on--- I'd
'bracket' at two or three distances. Saves time and if you are like me, and
shoot the landscapes with a tripod, the time involved in making several
exposures compared with the set-up time is negligible.
My own experience is that most lenses are sharpest at about f5,6-8, and that
the hyperfocal distance is usually the best. What I do is set the infinity
mark at the f mark for the aperture I am using- if it is f5,6- then I set
the inf. mark at 5,6.
My feeling is that if you need it any sharper, or plan to make a mural- then
borrow a 4x5!
the 35mm format is so inexpensive to shoot- a whole roll of 35mm film cost
about what 4 sheets of 4x5 costs, that NOT to bracket exposure and focus
doesn't make sense.
Dan (Lovin' them there double negatives!) Post