Subject: [Leica] Guatemala kids apology
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:03:43 -0500

First, my sincerest LUG apology for what I wrote about the photography
project that Tina Manley is helping with for kids from the Guatemala dump.

Second, I was more than a bit hasty in my response which would have been
better served off-line and would have not been written at all had I bothered
to investigate things further.  I was basing things on my experience here at
the Quito dump and other recent interaction with people with good intentions
for the Quito dump but bad ideas.  I jumped to a lot of conclusions that I
should have not made period.

Third, I should have known better than to mis-trust Tina's judgement for a
valid project as her reputation on the LUG is spotless and her use of
photography to aid humanitarian causes is well established.  I applaud Tina
taking time to share some of her gift of photography with kids from the
dump... I trust that it will help encourage creativity, artistic expression
and visual awareness which are skills that need to be developed.

Fourth...  It is obvious that the people involved with the Guatemala project
are successful in their efforts and are making a real difference in the
lives of these kids.  That success takes a lot of commitment and effort.  I
know from my friend's experience at the Quito dump that it is a lot more
difficult than one might imagine and it speaks very highly of those who have
had involvement.  Good education is the key to long term development in
under-developed areas of the world.

Fifth, It is a worthy project to contribute to and I highly encourage
Luggers to get involved in whatever way possible....

My thanks to those who rightfully pointed out my error in judgement.

I sincerely hope that my hasty comments did not discourage anyone from
contributing and I hope my apology will help spur luggers to get involved.

Duane Birkey

Duane's Photographs of Ecuador
http://duane_birkey.tripod.com