Subject: Re: [Leica] Portfolio (WAS: Stock options)
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 17:40:53 +0100

on 3/4/00 3:34 pm, Pascal at cyberdog@attglobal.net wrote:

> On 03-04-2000 10:54 Johnny Deadman wrote:
>
>> Henning is too kind! Portfolio doesn't deserve to have any users. iView is
>> ten times better (I've used it for three days now!!) and far cheaper. It
>> adheres to Mac interface guidelines (ie it works as you expect it to); it
>> asks you if you want to save when you hit the close box;
>
> Johnny, if you used Portfolio you'd have known that the program saves
> automatically, you don't have to do a manual save before quitting it.
> It's just as with (Claris) FileMaker Pro and some other Mac programs ...

I've used Portfolio for a couple of years as my main catalog program.

It only saves your active catalogue, NOT any galleries you may have created
eg by doing searches. You have to actively save these using the 'save
gallery' command. If you do what I do and create a gallery, then drag/drop
selected images across from your main catalog, it's INCREDIBLY easy to click
the close box and lose an hour's editing.

Mac interface guidelines stipulate that when you close a window with
editable contents it should prompt you to save.  Portfolio doesn't do this.

Try iView... it's a real step forward.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com