Subject: Re: [Leica] Hockey?
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 17:01:46 -0700

> any suggestions on how to meter the game

I used to shoot a lot of hockey with my IIIf 25 years ago. I said to
myself "this game is indoors. The lighting isn't going to change much
during the game. I'm going to meter once and then just leave my camera
on that setting for the whole game." I metered my left hand and the
back of somebody's neck, averaged the two, set my camera on that, and
never looked back. I used a 135mm Tower LTM lens wide open on f/3.5 or
f/4.5 or whatever it was, and set the shutter speed as fast as I could
set it.

This worked beautifully. It also had the advantage of making
the darkroom work a lot easier because I knew that the exposure was the
same on all of the negatives, so I didn't have to keep making test
strips.

I've probably shot 200 rolls of film of hockey games using this
metering technique.