Subject: Re: [Leica] Nose Grease (Late april 1 WA edition)
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 21:15:24 -0700

B.D.
I believe you have a real collector's item. Oscar Barnack himself was said
to be working on an important Leica attachment shortly before his death.
Code named SCHNOZ, this attachment was to be placed in the accessory shoe
where it could collect nose grease and then be wiped to spread the lubricant
over the vulcanite on leica cameras.

Several prototypes were made and a short production run was made in 1935.
Oscar triumphantly announced that it would prolong the life of the camera
beyond 40 years by preserving the vulcanite and keeping it from falling off.

Unfortunately, the thought of more than 40 years passing before a Leica user
bought a second camera was too much for the Leitz marketing folks, and the
project was quietly dropped. Oscar is said to have become very bitter over
this, but eventually cheered up and designed a 21mm viewfinder around the
early SCHNOZ prototypes.

Obviously, you have one of his early modifications and could sell your
SCHNOZ on Ebay for quite a profit. But you'd probably be better off to use
it as the inventor intended. Of course you might have to buy an M3 to get
the full value, but you will be paid back by having, in a few years, the
only M series camera with intact vulcanite in the entire world.

Hope this helps,

Mike Quinn

B.D. Colen wrote

Speaking of nose grease...I am  being driven totally nuts by the fact that
when I use my 21 on my M I find that I am coating my finder window with nose
grease when I used the 21 finder...Does anyone have a clever solution for
this other than 'don't use a finder,' which is a wise-ass, rather than
clever, solution. ;-)