Subject: [Leica] The lights are on...but nobody's home
From: Bill <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:56:19 -0700 (PDT)

Now, let's see.  There is an eight hour time difference between
Denver and Solms.  So if I stay up until 1:00am that will be 9:00am
in Solms.
I think I am going to call Herr Cohn first thing in the morning and
ask him if Leica really has a marketing department?

Why do I ask?  Well, wait until you get a look at the May issue of
Shutterbug magazine.  One quick look through that issue and you will
agree with me that the Leica marketing department must only exist in
the minds of the most gullable.

Let's take a quick tour of the May issue:

The cover has a great photo of a Voigtlander Bessa-R (no Leica)

On page 8, half of the "editor's Note" column is devoted to the Nikon
S3 along with a great photo. (no Leica)

Moving right along, we come to page 50 where Roger W. Hicks has a
good article on the renaissance of rangefinders.  There is a big
color picture of the Bessa-R, a big color picture of the Konica
HAXAR, and a big color picture of the Hasselblad XPAN. (Here again no
Leica)

The text on page 50 does mention Leica, but not in very flattering
terms.

The article continues on page 52.  Here there is a black and white
picutre of a 1950s Voigtlander, a black and white picture of an M2,
and a black and white picture of a Russian Zorki 4K.

Moving on to page 54.  Wow there is another picture of a Leica... so
what if it an antique model 250, at least it is a picture.  Below it
are two pictures of Russian FED cameras.

Now wait, I'm not finished.  Beginning of page 138 there is a multi
page article on the PMA show in Las Vegas.  On page 154 of that
article, there is a nice color photo of the Bessa-R and a nice color
photo of the Konica HEXAR. (no Leica).

Moving ahead to page 158 there is a nice color photo of the Contax
G2.  There is also a paragraph about the G2 and a paragraph about the
Konica HEXAR lenses. (no Leica).

Checking page 210 I find a long paragraph about Voigtlander's new
lenses and a picutre of same. (no Leica)

Now, way the hell in the back of the magazine, page 240, there is a
black and white picture of what I think is a point and shoot C-1.
However, there is no text on that page about any leica product, nor
is that picture identified.

Ok, let's take a minute to put all of this in perspective.  Imagine
if you will that this is not a leading (if not the leading)
photography magazine, but rather a computer magazine.  And, the
product not given the proper notice was Microsoft Windows 2000.

Or, let's say that the products under review are film rather than
rangefinder cameras.  What do you think would happen if KODAK did not
get proper exposure?

Ok, how about an article about S.U.V.s (four wheel drive cars) where
Jeeps were not adequately covered.

You know what would happen as well as I do.  All hell would have
broken loose in those companies, and heads would roll...as well they
should.

Like I have said before, I come out of an environment where corporate
executives are paid to "MAKE thing happen".  Herr Cohn may well be
able to keep cranking out 'contrived collectables', in the spirit of
P. T. Barnum,  and turn a profit doing so.  Mean while the potential
for a once great camera company to be reborn slowly slips away.

Regards,

Bill