Subject: Re: [Leica] Analog vs. digital
From: Jeff Spirer <jeff@spirer.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:15:52 -0700

At 08:59 AM 4/6/00 -0600, Jeff S wrote:

>Walter, for now I'm confident that film is safe--I'm trying to picture
>my mom coming home from a vacation
>and sitting in front of a computer twiddling with 250+ photos in
>Photoshop and printing 'em all out-won't happen! For now, the masses
>still like George Eastman's "You push the button, we do the rest" and
>digital photograhy ain't there yet.

Every grandmother I know uses the Internet, regardless of financial status
and education.  Every one of them uses it in part for trading photos with
her family.  Almost everyone I know outside of the photographic, web and
graphic design industry prefers digital cameras (or the idea of them) to
scanning.  Digital cameras are selling to general consumers like videocams
did ten years ago.  The general public has decided, and it isn't for film.

>The only wildly succesful consumer digital takeover I can think of
>offhand was the move to the Compact Disc from the LP, and again, that
>was for convenience's sake: No lint-clogged
>needles to deal with! No hasses with fussy paper sleeves! Had the CD
>been fussier than the LP, I think we'd all be spinning vinyl to this
>day.

Digital cameras eliminate the need for  scanners!!!!!  This is what is
important for the general public. The Internet is a primary means of
communication these days and digital cameras will be part of this.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/