Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Consensus? Skopar 24mm
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:28:13 +0200 (MET DST)

>Irrational ?  Using quality lenses is irrational ?
>
>The LUG reports of enthusiastic praises from users who have been delighted with
>the new Voigtlander lenses FAR outweigh any negatives posted about them here.
>
>Why not rationally USE the lenses yourself and form your own conclusions based
>on your own experience before you irrationally judge something you haven't
seen?

>Stephen Gandy
>

>Dominique PELLISSIER wrote:
>
>I've not tried Cosina lenses. The MTF-tests for the 15 and for the 25 show
>
>> that these lenses have a poor quality.
>> My opinion is that we buy at first a Leica lens (for its quality) and,
>> after, the "rear cap" for it (i.e. a leica body or a hexar rf).
>> The contrary seems to me irrational. A cosina lens on a Leica body is as a
>> pimple on the left buttock of a beautiful girl...
>> You write that the finders are better than Leica's. Maybe. But i read that
>> they are not precise.

Stephen,

It's got to be one thing or the other.

If Cosina lenses (so-called Voigtlaender lenses) are excellent as you seem
to believe, it's the death of Leica. Because the strength of Leica relies
upon the quality of the lenses in spite of high prices.

If Cosina lenses are mediocre, and the MTF-tests show poor results, it's
irrational to put one on a leica body instead of a leica lens.

I have an interpretation for the irrationality : the use of Heliar,
Skopar,Bessa, etc has an emotional content for the consumer, who is a
collector.I'm quite sure that if the lens was called Tokura or
Whatchamacallimon, there would be less sales and no irrationality.

Amicalement,

M. Dominique Pellissier
Maître de conférences en économie
Université de Nancy2