Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Consensus? Skopar 24mm
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:30:30 -0700

At 12:44 PM +0200 4/6/00, Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr
(Dominique PELLI wrote:

>I've not tried Cosina lenses. The MTF-tests for the 15 and for the 25 show
>that these lenses have a poor quality.
>My opinion is that we buy at first a Leica lens (for its quality) and,
>after, the "rear cap" for it (i.e. a leica body or a hexar rf).
>The contrary seems to me irrational. A cosina lens on a Leica body is as a
>pimple on the left buttock of a beautiful girl...
>You write that the finders are better than Leica's. Maybe. But i read that
>they are not precise.

I don't know about the 25, 35 or 75 Cosina lenses as I have not tried them.
I have the 15 and 50 Cosina, along with, among a total of 11 others, the 21
ASPH, 35 ASPH Summilux and 90 APO-ASPH Leica lenses. The Cosina lenses are
not as good as these latter three Leica lenses. However, except for focal
length, you will not easily pick the shots with the 50 and the 15 out from
any series. In general, I would rate the Cosina lenses as good as the best
of the non-ASPH. They hold their own. The 15 is the best 15mm lens I have
used, and I have and have used about half a dozen different ones, as I have
posted a number of times in the past year. The 50 is all in all as good as
the 50 Summilux, if not better.

I haven't seen these MTF charts that would cause the Cosina lenses to be
considered of poor quality, but it certainly makes me doubt the validity of
the tests. I have used the lenses, and they fit in well with my other Leica
M lenses.

I'm not quite sure how all this relates to that pimple on the left buttock.
I think I would first need to have a closer look at that buttock. As you
with the lenses, I lack experience with that particular buttock.

Re: the finders. Precise? Leica finders are no more precise (nor
substantially less, either). Neither the Leica 15, 21 new and old, or 28
which I have are any more precise than the Cosina finder. The Cosina 15
lacks the bubble level of the Leica 15. Otherwise it wins in every way.
BTW, the M6 finder is hardly 'precise' as far as framing is concerned. For
that you need an SLR or Visoflex.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com