Subject: [Leica] Michelangelo VS Leonardo
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 13:12:47 +1200

Hi Bill,

I'm probably being my retentive art-self on this one, but I doubt
this conversation happened.  Is this one of Vasari's stories? The
majority of Renaissance sculpture (especially Michelangelo's) was
specifically designed to sit in alcoves at immense heights. Hence
David's "murderer's hands". They bought him off the outside wall a
long time ago. My point apart from me being a retentive pedant? You
raise some really good points about the idea of 3 dimensionality that
i hadn't thought about before, whereby 3D objects can look
2-dimensional by their presentation, and i wonder how powerful those
perspectival shifts were to the renaissance public, and i wonder if
we do  a similar adjustment with new mediums.

Cheers,
Gary

PS. Silver rules!  ;-)

At 1:12 PM -0700 6/4/2000, Bill wrote:
>Michelangelo was convinced sculpture was the superior art form and
>pointed this out to Leonardo by saying that the viewer could walk around and
>see all sides of a sculpture.
- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University