Subject: Re: [Leica] Cosina 15 and 25 lens quality
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 18:37:33 -0700

Dominique  wrote:
I've not tried Cosina lenses. The MTF-tests for the 15 and for the 25
show that these lenses have a poor quality.  My opinion is that we buy
at first a Leica lens (for its quality) and, after, the "rear cap" for
it (i.e. a leica body or a hexar rf).  The contrary seems to me
irrational. A cosina lens on a Leica body is as a pimple on the left
buttock of a beautiful girl...

You write that the finders are better than Leica's. Maybe. But i read that
they are not precise.>>>>>>>

Dominique mon ami,

<<<MTF-tests for the 15 and for the 25 show that these lenses have a
poor quality.  >>>>>>>>>

This is typical of the the bloody test bench crap put out by people who
are only concerned with numbers rather than the visual appearance and
the facts of using the lens in real life picture taking!

I'm referring to the 15mm.  I did a personal test not long after I
acquired one and shot a bunch of film with the 15mm,   made prints and
was completely blown away with the quality the lens cut in film.

Dropped a bunch of Leica lens and 15mm created prints on the table and
asked a friend, accustomed to using a Leica.,   ..."OK which are the
Leica prints?"  he blew nearly every one he picked up!

Look, this Voigtlander 15mm lens is dynamite, regardless what the
numbers people say.  I see absolutely no reason not to buy it and put it
on an M6 or whatever it will fit for the price of somewhere in  the
range of $500.00 US which includes the viewfinder.

The Viewfinder!  Now there's a viewfinder and half and your comment of:

">>>> You write that the finders are better than Leica's. Maybe. But i
read that  they are not precise.>>>>>>>>>>

Hell Dominique I haven't used a viewfinder that is absolutely precise in
my photographic life  and most of those have been Leica.  The reason is,
they are only a "clip on viewfinder image" and there isn't any precise
to them.   Sure they are close, but who the hell uses one to the extent
that they expect...."Precise?"  No such thing with a clip on viewfinder.

Nope old buddy,  you been reading too much from the numbers people and
not enough shooting time. I realize you do not have the lens, but if you
have the opportunity to acquire one.......do not hesitate!     You'll
not regret it.

As I've said before, Leica is missing and missed a great opportunity for
lens sales if they had of got their ass in gear and cranked out a
competing 15mm under the Leica name, obviously at the same price,  even
using an adapter for them to fit M cameras.

Just think about how many 15mm have been sold within the LUG family in
the past 5-6 months, amazing and that doesn't count the many others sold
out of leica wedlock.

In any event Dominique trust me mon ami,   and the bunch of LUG 15mm
owners, this is a great lens and far better than the numbers guys are
giving it credit.  One of the best lens buys of the year!

ted