Subject: Re: [Leica] leica pimples?
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 12:09:07 +0100

on 7/4/00 1:49 am, Julio Marcos at jmarcos@earthlink.net wrote:

> It's funny how people consider their Leica and Contax glass a step above
> Nikon or Canon, have religious wars about it, but then go and put Cosina
> lenses in their Leicas.

I have a 75/2.5. As far as I am concerned there is no Leica competition for
this lens. The 75/1.4 isn't really a viable lens for streetshooting, IMHO,
as it's too big (and expensive). Technically, the results are on a par with
my Leica glass. The Nokton will probably be my next purchase. Erwin's tests
place this marginally AHEAD of the Summilux-M 50mm. Hmmm.

Consumers (present company excepted) tend to make rational decisions. I have
a Leica 28 because I tried a Rokkor and found it lacking. I will buy a
Summilux-M 35 ASPH because it's a wonderful, practical lens for me and I
didn't particularly like the Voigtlander 1.7.

On Saturday I went into my local Leica dealer to play with some lenses.
Almost every person who walked in with a Leica round their neck had a
voigtlander lens on it. I would guess that the Voigtlander lenses have
INCREASED sales of used M bodies markedly, as they are competitive with the
Bessa-R.

OTOH The shots I took with the Voigtlander 15 were not as great, wide open,
as I would have liked. Definitely not comparable to the standard of current
generation Leica lenses.

The moral is that MTF graphs aren't the whole story by a long, long way.
There is far more to the 'look' of a lens than sharpness. Judging a lens by
an MTF graph is like judging a guitar by the number of frets, or a car by
the size of its engine.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com