Subject: Re: [Leica] leica pimples?
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:24:19 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/00 11:49:37 AM, cyberdog@tijd.com writes:

>The overwhelming reason to buy into Leica systems lies with the excellent
>
>lenses.
>If one is not prepared to buy those (and only the best of them, that is),
>
>why use Leica at all? You could get much more value for money with a
>decent Nikon or Canon then. Just my two francs :-)

It is sort of an ironic situation. For generations photographers have been
defending the high cost of Leica lenses based on image quality and basically
making the argument that only Leica lenses are good enough -- no matter what
the cost. Now, along comes a cheap alternative and the Leica community seems
to flock to it. It is a bit amusing. As for the 15mm I consider that
something of a special case. It is SO cheap one has to ask WHY NOT buy it.
It's an extra trick you have in you bag for about the same price as a Leica
cable release or lens cap (I'm kidding, take it easy). The fact that it
apparently outperforms the $5,000 Leica alternative just makes the whole
Leica Uber alles attitude that much more entertaining . . . If it sounds like
I'm slamming Leica, I'm not. I think their stuff is wonderful but as I've
stated many times on this list I think it's priced excessively (largely do to
market share and production costs, I suspect). Still I think the Cosina  15mm
is a great option for those of us who wouldn't have bought a 15mm otherwise.

Bob (6 lenses -- 5 Leica, 1 Cosina) McEowen