Subject: [Leica] Re: The overwhelming reason to buy into Leica systems
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 10:50:34 +0100

And John Shick <bosjohn@mediaone.net> replied:

>I have been happily shooting away, enjoying the unique
handling and feel of my various Leica cameras to the point where they
are
familiar friends. It the whole gestalt of the Leica not just fine
lenses,
great quality, lithe handling, etc. that make it still my camera of
choice.

I'll vote with John on this one. When I take pictures (alas, not often
enough) for work or hobby, I get a great aesthetic pleasure in
handling and using my 1950s - 1970s Leica cameras and lenses. However,
so be fair to Pascal, while the 35mm and 50mm screw-mount lenses I use
with my rangefinder gear are Leitz, most of the other focal lengths
are non-Leitz. These "foreigners" were chosen partly for reasons of
value-for-money, and partly because in some cases they were faster
than their Leitz screw-mount equivalents.

In most cases, these German, Russian or Japanese lenses are from the
same period as my classic Leitz equipment. Although some lack the
'feel' of the Leitz lenses, they are good enough optical performers to
meet my occasional need for these focal lengths. For slides which will
be reproduced no more than 15cm across on the printed page, or
projected onto a screen in the living room, I don't feel a need for
the latest lens technology. The designs of Mr Berek, Mr Bertele, and
their contemporaries are more than adequate.

Regards,

Doug Richardson