Subject: [Leica] Re: M6 type digital camera ! ?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 10:13:41 -0700

Well... this is pretty far fetched. It will take a hellova lot more than
10MP to even approach a good B&W film. And the electronics involved inside
the camera and the in camera storage requirements (this is what I do for a
living) would turn an M6 into a MEGA M6. It is illogical to attempt to
equate a film camera with a digital camera. They live in completely
different worlds, take different pictures, and require completely different
backend support. This is why the IMAGEK (I'm a Geek) film insert is still
"vaporware". The Nikon D1, Canon and Kodak/Canon/Nikon real digital cameras
are B-I-G and are very E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E. And have been completely
converted (gutted) into a digital camera.

Don't hold your breath for an "M6" digital camera. Perhaps a representation
of an M6, using M lenses, but a B&W sensor??? The only folks who would
actually want one are those who currently use B&W in their M6, scan the
negs, and produce inkjet prints. What percentage of M6 users do this?
Godfrey DiGiorgi is one, but that the only person I know. You can drum scan
a B&W negative and make a LightJet mural (48"x60"). You will be hard
pressed to make anything larger than a 11x14 print from a 10MP sensor.

Bottom line... it sounds far fetched to me and I don't know why Leica would
waste resources for what has to be considered a minuscule market with a
very specialized camera.

But who can tell...???

Jim