Subject: Re: [Leica] Minor Cosmetic Cleaning of Leicas
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:05:27 -0700

No- it a product of lemons!  d-Limonene, to be exact. Organic ester.  :o}
I get a product called Naturally Citrus, from Medo In dustries at the
supermarket. It is in the cleaner aisle, and is sold principally as an air
freshener. It is made up of the oils from citrus peels and smells like
oranges or grapefruit. I think they are all isomers of Limonene, and the
structure, though similar from one fruit to the next, varies the odor!
It is a lot like a material my brother used to use which was called
'Citrisolve' and was used to test batches of asphalt. It is a good solvent
for oils, and Citrisolve was a relatively unrefined citrus product that was
used to disolve the oil and asphalt off a sample of paving material to
determine the percent of stone aggregate it contained.
We used it to degrease parts, remove label gum, and anywhere we wanted to
clean oil of of something, and with a natural biodegradable product.
The Medo product is apparently a refined version of the Citrisolve, easy to
obtain and I use it to remove certain adhesives, oily dirt, ball point pen
ink, and cleaning greasy nose prints off my cameras. A spritz on a paper
towel works great, makes the camera smell good, and is 100% all natural and
biodegradable! I refrain from using it on some plastics, and on glass, but
for the metal and vulcanite, it works well.
Dan ( The batch I got this time smells like....tangerines!) Post
Also- unless you are allergic to citrus fruit peels, there is little chance
of contact dermatitis!!
Do not get into eyes, keep away from children and pets, do not store above
100 degrees fahrenheit, do not use near fire or flame....