Subject: [Leica] Isn't lemon oil a petroleum product? Ni, it isn't. (OT?)
From: "Jim Licquia" <licquia@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:22:27 -0500

Dan Cardish wrote:

> Isn't lemon oil a petroleum product?
>
> Dan C.

Mmmm well, yes it is. Glad I use nothing on the vulcanite. I am assuming
that mineral oil is really the main component of "lemon oil"  Mineral
oil does not have the solvent properties of so many petroleum cleansers
though. My main concern is that some products would degrade the
vulcanite over time.  Maybe beeswax would be ok? never have given this a
lot of thought ;)

This is not correct. Pure Lemon Oil is the expressed oil which results from
the compression of lemon peelings. The carrier in commercial cleaning
preparations is most often labeled as "Petroleum Distillates". Mineral oil
is probably not used because of the oily residue it would leave. Pure lemon
oil may be purchased in small bottles at many pharmacies and is to be
preferred if you don't mind your IIIf smelling like a lemon for a few days,
(it goes away).

What you do is spread small amounts over the surface of the vulcanite with a
cotton ball, wait a day or two then do it again. You do not want to apply
enough to make it appear wet.

Jim Licquia (Fragrance and perfume chemist in a past life).