Subject: [Leica] Report on Piezography
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:31:08 -0400

O.K., guys, here is my report on the Epson 3000 and Piezography software
which I am using to print my LEICA black and white negatives:

It took me about two hours to get the printer set up (it's big!) and
install the software.  Then I spent all day yesterday trying out samples of
different papers.  The paper makes a huge difference in the appearance of
the prints.  I tried everything from thick, rough watercolor paper to very
thin, glossy photo paper.  It's all gorgeous!  There are absolutely no dots
visible.  I had a little trouble with banding until I figured out I was
supposed to be using the Super Micro-weave setting.  Now there's no banding
on any paper.  The colors of the ink vary slightly depending on the paper
used, but they all appear close to neutral.  The watercolor paper gives a
warmer tint.  The Media Street dual sided paper gives the coldest tint with
extremely black blacks.  The QuadBlack inks are really the way to go for
beautiful black and white prints.

I'm putting some samples in the back window of the car to test the fading,
but these inks and papers are supposed to be archival.  I couldn't
be  happier with this system (well, I'd love to find some cheaper
paper!).  My days of breathing chemicals are numbered!

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com