Subject: Re: [Leica] nokton v. summilux
From: "Dave Stratton" <stratton@gci.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 07:57:08 -0800

Dan Post wrote

Summarit has come down recently, and buying a user in decent condition,
having Sherry or someone do a good CLA on it, and you would have a Leica
lens, reasonably fast, and half the cost- at least- of a Summilux.
Dan ( My opinion only) Post

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dan

I sent a Summarit to Sherry for a CLA.  I was really disappointed with the
lens when I first obtained it, and BEFORE the CLA by Sherry.   After the
cleaning it was a totally different lens...and is becoming one of my
favorites at the F 1.5/2 range.  And at >5.6 it becomes quite sharp.

As a note...visually, before CLA, there was only a very slight haze to the
lens.  But that ever so slight haze made a major impact on the performance
of the lens.   You might find that situation with the Summilux.

I don't have a Summilux thus can not compare, but I do know that for my
amateur efforts at photography the Summarit is now giving my more than
acceptable results.  I really like the 'Glow".

Dave Stratton