Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger or scanner?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:14:54 -0400

At 08:26 AM 4/14/00 +0200, you wrote:
>      Would this be a wise decision or am I old fashioned?  In the
>      photography club were I go, every one had sold his dark room equipment
>      yet decades ago (all are males above 50, I am 39).
>
>      Or shall I wait until the market deliveres affordable scanners 10,000
>      DPI and printers 4,000 DPI?
>

>      Within a few weeks I intend to be ready with my humble website on
>      geocities.com.
>

>      Luggers, help me please because I am seriously in love with the Leica
>      way of life.
>

>      Luc Stockman
>      father of 10 children

Dear Luc -

Welcome to the LUG!  I loved working in the darkroom but 20+ years of
exposure to chemicals have begun to cause allergic reactions.  I know now
that if I spend an hour in the darkroom, I will be incapacitated the rest
of the day with a splitting headache.  Before it becomes worse, I decided
to try the digital route.  I've finally found a system to print black and
white photographs that equals darkroom prints.  It is even more fun to play
with the photos in PhotoShop than try to dodge and burn in the dark.  The
Piezography system gives an apparent resolution of 2000+ dpi and you have a
choice of many different paper surfaces.  I'm having a great time going
back and printing my Leica negatives on different papers.

Good luck with your choice, but don't forget to take your health into
account.  With 10 children, you want to be around for awhile!

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com