Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: eBay
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:46:33 -0400

>>      It irks me to see stuff on eBay sometimes, like selling a 21mm
>>Leitz M lens and not only listing the finder separately, but the front
>>and rear lens caps separately as well.  I won't deal with them, ever.

That same thing irks me too...especially when it's a collectible...was s/he
selling the box and paperwork separately too? ;-)

My best strategy has been to not bid until the last 15 seconds (snipe).
 When I bid early, some guy gets offended I outbid him (or her) and comes
back and ups the bid again...it just always ends up costing me more money
if I bid early.  At least when I snipe, if the other bidder(s) get
offended, there is nothing they can do ;-)  If I bid at the end, it takes
the emotion completely out of the bid, I get one shot, give it my best
shot, and in seconds I know if I won or lost.

I would rather lose than overpay!  Another excellent thing to do is search
the completed auctions and find the item you are interested in that didn't
meet reserve, or get any bids.  I have been able to pick up some great
deals that way too.  Sometimes the seller would rather sell it to me for a
reasonable price than re-list it.

I got a new, in box, 75/1.4 for $1500 shipping included!  I thought that
was a steal...