Subject: [Leica] Summilux quality
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 21:05:11 -0500

Tried to post this earlier, dunno if it showed up...

The latest edition of the LHSA Viewfinder has an article by Dick Gilcreast which
reveals that the 50mm Summilux formula was further improved in 1968, after the
commonly cited 1961 formula change. Gilcreast (an excellent source) says that this
brought Summilux performance up to the level of the 50/1.2 level, which says a lot as
the first Noctilux is a superb (and misunderstood) lens.

If anybody knows how to contact Dick perhaps they can ask him for more details about
the change in '68.

I suspect the current 50/1.4 M lens has been updated optically again, as it now
focusses closer and takes a larger filter too. Leica is notorious for NOT revealing
significant optical and mechanical upgrades.

I also tried to post this week  details of a story from The Gazette in Montreal
which wrote about a new 24 x 36mm 6 megapixel pressure-plate size chip that will
begin appearing in digital cameras by the end of this year. The article specifically
mentioned the possibility of installing this as a replacement for the Leica M6
pressure plate (i.e. back door) to convert the M into digital.

I hope Solms is on this like white on rice.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal