Subject: Re: [Leica] Colour film
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 22:23:32 +0100

Martin Howard wrote:

>I'm looking for something that has natural colours, smooth tonal rendition,
>and preferably one that holds detail both in shadows and highlights (except
>under extreme conditions).  I don't like the over-saturated look of many of
>the modern films that seems so popular today.  I'm looking for a more
>delicate, tender, and muted look.
>
>So, you guys who know colour stock, what would you recommend?  Neg or
>chrome?  Which films from which manufacturer match my descriptions above?

If you want natural skin tones I suggest you try Kodak Portra. The 160
and 400 are excellent - they come in two versions VC (vivid) and NC
(natural). Neg film is definitely the way to go for holding highlights
and shadows.

The NC is very much "delicate, tender and muted". There is also an 800
speed Portra now but doubt I'll use it in 35.  It replaces PMZ (1000)
which was/is very grainy and very pretty. I do have some to try in 120.

I've found these films to scan very well.

And if you want prints its very easy to get good results!

Henry Ambrose