Subject: Re: [Leica] Colour negative film
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:45:47 -0400

>OK, I'm now officially confused.
. . .
There is also a lot of talk about how
>neutral greys are neutral, and how skin tone is natural.

	--> I looked at a few photos shot with this film,
	for Kodak advertising purposes, and definitely think
	it's another "caramel" skin tone film: thrash !
	I had the same :+( when checking out MAX 800 last week.
	If someone I know looked like that, I'd think they're
	ready to be cremated ... or badly need some exercise . . .

	Compare with Fuji Reala CZ or Vericolor VPS III
	(PORTRA supposedly replacing Vericolor : sheesh !)
. . .
>Also, is there *any* point in using colour correction filters with colour
>negative film?

	--> Yes: when you have severe color compensation
	need, as with fluorescent lights [ eek! ] and those sunrise / sunset
	"2 hour" color shift zones plus "creative" photographic
	special effects. I use skylight 1a when near the sea,
	sometimes on overcast days (but it can work against my
	intended results ). Some photographers use color enhancing filters
	that I have never tried.

	--> Though digital manipulation simplifies things somewhat,
	it would seem logical to try and "can" the best negative
	that's possible to get right at the camera, rather than
	rely on post-production tricks to salvage lower grade shots.
	This will preserve contrast and lessen "noise", poor color
	saturation.

	Think in terms of "spectrum": everything has a spectrum,
	including the film(s) you use. Restoring the spectrum balance
	would be the name of the game, generally speaking.

	--> IF you tend to make very long exposure tripod photos,
	color reciprocity becomes a consideration, but it's rare
	in 35mm photography. This refers to the varying sensitivities
	of the various color layers of any given color capable film.
	Basically, above 30 seconds of exposure, a Type L (long-
	exposures for memory) film is better.

>Hmm, does anyone know of a good source of information for how to use
>professional colour negative film?  It seems that I have a lot to learn.

	--> Read ASC material, product literature, lighting control
	books and articles, and develop your own sense of colour
	by viewing "critically" various well done magazines
	like National Geographic, GEO, and a few others.
	Various books about "art", painting, graphic arts,
	will help you in enhancing your general "colour culture".

	The feeling that you have a lot to learn will only
	get worse with age and experience; that's why we keep
	working at it, v.g. lessening one's ignorance ... or trying to.

>(Why am I considering negative film and not trannies?  Well, it's cheaper,
>has greater exposure lattitude, is easier to make prints from, and
>presumably scans at least as well as chromes do.  BTW -- is it E6 or C-41
>that's a female dog to do in the home darkroom?)
>
>Martin Howard
	--> I truly hope the dog does not have access to your lab:
	I freak out on dust and specks. That's why I dropped out
	from lab work even if I enjoyed the creative process.
	I tend to think in term of photo to digital now, but still
	don't own a proper scanner.

	--> C41 for colour negative, E6 for slides.

	Andre Jean Quintal