Subject: Re: [Leica] Nokton first impressions... and possibly last.
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:59:50 +0100

on 17/4/00 7:00 PM, P2CON@aol.com at P2CON@aol.com wrote:

> Johnny, I hate to see a person blow off a lens on the basis of a very limited
> evaluation of bokeh.

Hmmm -- I reckon 10-12 rolls (360-400 exposures) is enough to judge a lens,
especialy as I shot it in so many different situations. I didn't share most
of the result because they're personal and I don't put family pictures on
the web, but luckily it's still me who decides what lens I keep, not the
LUG. Anyone who knows my work will know that I am not exactly averse to
putting stuff on the web!!! 220 images on Human Traffic and counting!

The 75 and the 50 bokeh are really quite different. The 75 shows pronounced
'ni-sen' (double image bokeh) in the near field, while the 50 shows a very
pronounced smearing effect, which has a rather hard edge in both near and
distant field bokeh. The problem with criticising a lens for its bokeh is
that according to graphs it's a very fine lens, and some people think you're
counting angels on pin heads. However, a 1.4 or 1.5 lens is a lens which is
asking to be shot wide open. If you do so, and use it like I do, as a
scalpel to isolate a plane of focus in a complex field, then bokeh
constitutes MOST of your image area and it had better be damn good.

Anyway, just my two cents. I had high hopes for the Nokton but in the end
it's not a lens for me... despite being a very fine lens for the money.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk