Subject: Re: [Leica] UMAX PowerLook III scanner
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:36:10 -0700

At 11:53 AM -0400 4/17/00, Martin Howard wrote:
>I've been charged with the rather pleasant responsibility of finding a
>scanner to buy for the place where I work.  We need something that is going
>to scan regular paper as well as transparent media.  Personally, I would
>also be very happy if it scans 35mm and 6x9cm film.
>
>I've found a web-page for something called a UMAX PowerLook III with
>transparency adapter that looks interesting.  Does anyone have any
>experience of this product?  Any and all information would be welcome, as
>are private replies.
>
>M.
>
>--
>Martin Howard                     |
>Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |  All wiyht. Rho sritched mg
>email: howard.390@osu.edu         |  kegtops awound?
>www: http://mvhoward.i.am/        +---------------------------------------

The Powerlook III is quite competetive in its price range. The scanning
ability of 6x9 is OK, but a bit marginal for decent print output. 35mm is
not good enough at 1200dpi.

Other possibles in this range are the Linotronic Saphir II, which is the
same machine as the UMAX with better software, and the new Epson 1600,
which gives 1600dpi, and by all accounts is better. Only check it out right
after you buy it as a number have had misalignment problems out of the box,
resulting in unsharp scans especially noticeable on 120 film.

I have an Epson 1600 on order right now.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com