Subject: [Leica] Advice for a New M6 TTL Owner
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:22:17 -0400

Greetings Leicaphiles:
(Martin, is this the correct Leica salute? :))

I'm new to the LUG, and I'm about to order my very first M6 TTL.  I'd
welcome any advice you might have for someone just starting out--from buying
advice, accessory suggestions, things to check when I first get the camera,
reading material or web links, and so on.

I'm planning on using the M6 for street photography and candid portraits,
using mostly (but not exclusively) black and white (TriX and TMax) print
negatives, in available light (I disdain flash).  Since I like to shoot
close-ups, I'm going to start out with the 50/2 Summicron and plan to get
the 90/2 APO Summicron as my second lens (it's severely back-ordered anyway,
so it will be a few months).  After that, I'll likely get the 35/2 ASPH.

I still haven't decided on the finder mag. yet, but am inclined towards the
.72x since I am planning on getting a 35 mm lens at some point, and I'm an
eyeglass wearer (the 35 framelines on the higher mag. viewer are therefore
tough to see).  On the other hand, I plan to shoot the 90/2 APO _a lot_,
wide open and at close distances, so that's a compelling reason to choose
the .85x.  Anybody have experience (good or bad) shooting the 90 APO this
way with a .72 finder?

Of course, a no-compromise solution would be to buy _both_ bodies (or the
.72 M6 for the 35 and an M3 for the 50 and 90), but I'd really rather save
the money for glass if possible.

Finally, I've decided on the silver chrome body and black lenses.  That's my
compromise between an aesthetic love for chrome and the weight savings of
the black aluminum lens casings.

It's good to be part of the LUG, and I'm extremely excited about becoming a
Leica user.  Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Regards,
Dan Honemann