Subject: [none]
From: Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:06:53 +0200

It is wrote thusly:

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:48:08 -0400
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Natchwey interview

Dan Post jotted down the following:

> Perhaps we need more photojournalist out there who can show us how the world
> really is [...]

While I agree with a great many things in your message, I don't believe that
anyone can ever "show how the world really is".  It is all a matter of
selective perception.  Natchwey is showing us *one* aspect of the world as
he has perceived it, one which is all too often conveniently forgotten, but
it is no more or less real than what is shown on ESPN.  Yes, the
consequences are different;  yes, you can argue about importance (although I
contend that that is essentially a social construct too), but it is
impossible to definitively nail down Reality, doubly so where human affairs
are concerned, and triply so when selected, interpreted, and communicated by
someone else.

M.

<<<

Even more to the point, the way the world really is conceals a judgement
that tells us that lots of it isn't the way it really is. If I go to Bombay
to photograph street people and tribals, that's the real India; if I
photograph yuppies playing pool in the building their shacks are built
against, that's not the real India.
And this is a judgement that you get from indians and westerners alike.
"... The way things are
is changed upon the blue guitar."
I wish my M's were blue just to remind me of that. (Got a blue soft release
though).
D-d-d-d-do you mean to say that ... facts ain't facts?
Rob.
Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow
Via Bellentani 36
41100 Modena