Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Advice on new M6 TTL
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:51:18 +1000

Doug Nygren wrote:

> I know everyone likes the new 90 mm APO and I'm sure it's a great lens.
> However, my preference with the M6 is to use lenses 50 mm and smaller. I
> travel with a 21, 35 and 50. I have a 90 and 135, but I dislike the
> smaller areas to focus in. If I want to use a bigger lens, I prefer to
> use the R8 SLR. This is just my taste. Others feel differently.
>
> Doug Nygren

Hi Doug,

I find it easier to focus longish lenses with an R too.  But I use M6s
for the production line portraits I take at sports grounds for a few
reasons that pay off.  Most importantly, I can see if the subject has
blinked at the moment the shutter fired.  SLR's are a problem in this
respect. Apart from not seeing the blink, they tend to cause kids to
blink, with all that stuff moving around behind the lens, and that makes
you think "Did the kid blink during or after the shot?". So you take
another one, and its the same again!

Also, M's look more like the cameras mum and dad use, so the kids I take
pictures of seem to be quite comfortable when I point 'em their way.

Its funny the way a lot of kids flinch when they hear the shutter go off
- - they were expecting to be blasted by a flash, which is probably why
they blink.  There's a generation of camera flash flinchers growing up.
One day, one of 'em'll get elected to high office and ban the use of
flash, and then Leica shares will go through the roof! Kind of like what
George Bush did for Brocolli, but the opposite.

Rick (likes brocolli!) Dykstra