Subject: Re: [Leica] Ideal M travel lens combination
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:58:38 -0400

Kim Lau jotted down the following:

> Dear LUG:
>
> What are your thoughts on an ideal travel M system (up to 4 lens) with 2
> bodies (0.72 and 0.85)?

I have, currently, an M2 and M3 with the following lenses: 25mm f/4 Skopar,
35mm f/2 Summicron-M, 50mm f/2 DR-Summicron, 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M.
This is quite possibly the ultimate travel package.  If I were using M6's
instead, I'd simply replace the bodies with a .72x and .85x, but keep the
lenses the same.

However, I prefer the older bodies to the newer ones.  I love the
uncluttered VF of the M2 and I find it's faster to use an incident meter,
set exposure, and leave it there, than to use the built-in M6 meter and be
distracted by the LEDs.

For me, the f/2 lenses are usually fast enough.  If I needed the extra
speed, I'd go with the 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M and 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M (not
the ASPH version).  I prefer the 25mm Skopar to the 28mm Elmarit, because
the latter is much larger.  I also like the wider angle-of-view and the loss
of one stop doesn't bother me.

Some people prefer the newer 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit to the older Tele-Elmarit.
I have the four-element thin version of the lens, which I like a lot.  Very
compact, and mine is a fine performer.

Another nice consideration of all the lenses above in my package, is that
they all share an E39 filter thread.

If I were to complement the lenses above, it would be with either a 21mm
f/3.4 Super-Angulon-M, or the 15mm f/4.5 Heliar.  Of these, the Heliar is
definately more fun, but possibly not quite as useful.  Another
consideration is the similarity in focal length between the 21mm and 25mm.
The 15mm is great for tight indoor shots and can be hand-held at 1/8s using
a softie without too much trouble.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |  All wiyht. Rho sritched mg
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |  kegtops awound?