Subject: [Leica] Small World
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:11:11 +0100

I had been booked to photograph HRH Princess Anne at a function and on
arrival I joined the half a dozen press guys and TV crew who were there on
the same mission.   The first fellow photographer I stand next to has a
chrome R8 (mine is black) and the same 28-70 Vario-Elmarit as I do!
Bearing in mind how few pros in this country (UK) use these cameras, I would
say that the chances of this happening are pretty remote.   Needless to say
we spent quite a bit of time taking Leica but unfortunately he is not on the
internet so could not access the LUG.   He did make a strange comment
though - I asked him whether he had thought of getting an 'M' but he said
that he wasn't sure he would be able to handle it.   He, like me, was in his
mid-fifties and was probably brought up on non-automatic cameras, and I
explained its attributes but it seemed a bit beyond him.

Got some good shots of HRH and the R8 performed well.   It also coped with
the atrocious weather and the fairly heavy rain!

Gerry