Subject: [Leica] Re: making contact prints (are they really large enough?)
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de (Hans-Peter.Lammerich)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:26:32 +0200

For XP2 or Tmax400CN any drugstore or discount photo store offers cheap machine
prints on colour paper which I find more useful than 24x36mm contact prints.
Going for the more expensive offerings, say USD 0.40 for 13x18cm, will deliver
more neutral black and whites, APS style index print, nicer packaging and a
return privilege. But for proofing and then throughing away most of the prints I
found the cheapest quality, that is USD 0.05 per 7x10cm print and two days
turn-arround, acceptable. Including developing you end up at well under USD 5
per roll. Moreover I find the risk that I would screw up something when
developing at home higher than the risk that the consumer lab would scratch or
loose my film. On the other hand I am still a little bit sceptical with regard
to permanence. At least in theory, conventional b&w film should be better.

Hans-Peter