Subject: Re: [Leica] Réponses Photo - Salgado special
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 09:57:49 -0700

>I just picked up the latest issue of the French magazine Réponses Photo;
>much to my delight it has a 30-page special on Salgado, including a
>portfolio, a lengthy interview and a detailed description of his
>darkroom. It is very interesting and humbling to realize that he creates
>his outstanding images with relatively simple means, both at the taking
>stage and in the darkroom. Heartily recommended, even if you don't read
>French (for the pictures in the latter case).
>
>Nathan

there was also a nice article or two on salgado in le monde (monday, april
11). a good part of it deals with his agency, amazonas images, and the
('fascinating and aggravating' according to the article) way in which he
and his wife market his work.

there is also a series of statements by salgado on his work, gleaned from
an interview - very interesting comments on what it is like to do what he
does. an example:

'for thirteen years, i have spent nine out of twelve months away from my
family. i have traveled to 47 countries. i haven't seen a single exhibit of
photography. i have abandoned my friends. the only people i've met, i've
met through my work. i am 56 years old. i'm wiped out. i need a rest. and
to think about what i'm going to do next.'

the articles coincide with the opening of the exhibit 'exodes'
('migrations' in english), which is currently being shown at the maison
européenne de la photographie in paris. the article also mentions that his
photographs of children will be shown in the u.n. in november.

guy