Subject: [Leica] Korda sues over Che rip-off
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 18:29:18 +0100

It is reported today in the UK 'Mail on Sunday' that Alberto Korda (now 71)
is to sue a British based advertising agency for breach of copyright over
the use of his famous image of Che Guevara by the Smirnoff vodka company.
Korda is reported not to mind the normal use of Che's image on T-shirts etc.
as he supported Guevara's communist ideals and was proud to have launched
his friend and hero as a universal icon.   But he is now suing for £1.9M
($3M)  because the image is being used to sell alcohol.  The paper reports
'At his home in Havana last week he said "To use the image of Che Guevara to
sell vodka is a slur on his name and his memory.   He never drank.   He was
not a drunk, and drink should not be associated with his immortal memory"'
Korda took the picture with a Leica M2 and Elmar 90mm f4 on March 5, 1960 at
a rally.   Korda said 'Life may not have granted me a great fortune, but it
has given me the even greater fortune of becoming a figure in the history of
photography.'   What more could any Leica owner ask for!

Gerry