Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 870, 1270
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:55:01 -0500

>But how much better then the 1200. You can change carts in the middle but can
>you SEE difference in the prints?
>Mark Rabiner

Mark,

I've had my 1270 for about 3 weeks now and yes, there is a very
noticeable visible difference in the prints from my 1200.

And the new paper and inks for the 1270 are as permanent as conventional
color prints with various claims of 15 - 24 years life on display. The
1270 prints I've delivered to clients get lots of OOOHs and AAAAAHs.

Making toned black & white is as simple as can be. Warm, cool, whatever -
I'm getting results that are very satisfying.

The driver is improved, the color profiles that ship with it are very
good - I'm consistently getting good prints on first try, often excellent
ones and have not output more than a second version to get a completely
satisfactory print.

I think that the purchase of an Epson 870 or 1270 is a "no-brainer" at
this point! These machines are the best affordable printers right now.

And just to keep the flames down:
Digital prints do look DIFFERENT from darkroom prints - sometimes BETTER
sometimes NOT. Digital printers are wonderful machines that help to
reduce the certainty of error that is a part of craft work. Very good
prints consistently and quickly.

Henry Ambrose