Subject: Re: [Leica] K-chrome cont'd
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:03:42 -0700

As I go though all my work from A to Z I am doing much scanning and I have a
crate on my right here marked "Darkroom" but not for rental lab where I used to
do my color. My ubiquitous Epson 1200 has been doing that job so far incredibly
well - my mind might change.
So many images which were just to flat to like; a tad underexposure due to
bringing them to the wrong lab or the damn flat "wedding film" which would be
left over and in my fridge and I'd try to use for something else like a portrait
or model portfolio and it just didn't cut it. No snap. Even with the "Ultra."
paper option, paper from Kodak with a higher contrast from a color neg.  But
negative or positive aside an image I just finished making yesterday from a
Kodachrome slide is standing out above the others. Just small print 5x mag. on a
letter sized scan though. But I'm showing it to people. Friends, Romans, Art Directors!

I used much Kodachrome before it went professional; before you got it from the
Fridge. You bought a brick and shot a roll and it went from red to green so if
it was red you could wait for it to neutralize over the weeks if it was green
they would let you bring it back and try another brick. (I could have this
switched) The only difference we could tell was that the color was right on the
Pro and that it was cold. No increase in D-max or grain advantages.Just an added
buck or two per roll for the cold stuff!
And that stuff was all shot with 60's vintage Nikon optics which is all I could
afford those days. (the 80's) Got some stunning results though. And those
pictures just wont go away. And if they have I'm bringing them back from the
dead with this scanner/printer setup I've got now. Many of these images never
were able to be reailized properly; now they are! Some were screwed up by art
directors; I've fixed that too. I've gone Leica seven years ago but the vast
majority of images in my "book" is still from my "Nikon" formative years! I
still have all that gear in a large plastic tub. Would not sell that gear for
pennies to some up and coming creep who would not appreciate it!
Mark Rabiner