Subject: [Leica] $12 buys a camera...kids on the dump, Guatemala
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:40:21 -0600

Last year I came across Nancy's project while working in Central America. I
didn't have time to visit it, but saw the book (which is well worth getting)
and read some other local write-ups.

However, I did spend time with families who live on Managua's city dump in
Nicaragua. The situation is quite simply, horrifying. My main recollections
are the smell, dust, knee deep garbage, smoke, cattle and vultures.
Children - many in bare feet - and adults, scavenging all over the dump for
subsistence. Their homes are, quite literally, on the dump.

My web site is not yet up and running (one of these days..). However (no
promises) I will try and put up some very rough and ready pages with a small
number of image of the dump. It might give people a feel of what they are
contributing towards.

Tim A