Subject: Re: [Leica] The Digital LUG
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:52:07 -0700

Paul Chefurka wrote:
><Snip>
> Yes, this discussion really belongs on the Epson list, but I'd rather
> proselytize my friends than preach to a choir of strangers.  And besides,
> good digital B&W printing is a must for all those (technically) gorgeous
> Tri-X/Xtol negs I'll be shooting with my Leicas over the next 30 years.
>
> Paul Chefurka

IMO
 As far as such digital discussions go on our list goes...
I think that if were were talking what sized tongs do we use or which flavor
Dektol no one would notice or care.
It's so important to get results from out cameras and lenses.
The darkroom thing feels right at home in Leica discussions.
But here we are with this huge revolution in Darkroom: the computer digital
thing; the scanners and inkjets.
We're setting here typing at our monitors as the prints come crawling out the
inkjet a foot to the left. (in my case)
Then we switch back and check it to our monitor again. Netscape works great at
the same time as Photoshop on my G4!
But it's perhaps being said that this is no way to really appreciate the edge
our Leicas are giving us.
And while that's mainly true what is? I've cranked out a lot of 8x10 fiber
prints over the years. With two fixes three washes ten trays! Way too small to
really appreteate what my new Leica lenses are doing for me. Our output is
seldom idea but we always have to option to print big and archival silver
whatever. Sending each other files at any reasonable size is another mixed
thing. What do we know about these images? Show me your negs! That's what I say
but you have to be in person to do that.
As far as I go I don't mind the digital discussions on the lug anymore than I
mind hearing about Xtol and Pyro and which film to use.
It's another of those things!
Mark Rabiner