Subject: Re: [Leica] Posting Leica Repair Problems
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:44:15 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

> sam jotted down the following:
>
> > But buyers who DO get defective equipment SHOULD post it.
>
> Why?  What good does it do to post it to the LUG?  It doesn't remedy his
> problem, it doesn't change Leica's practices, it doesn't have any
> consequences for those going to purchase gear.  It's only function is
> retribution for the poster and annoyance for the rest of us.

it does a lot of good.  a excellent example is the quality control problems
Leica was having with the M6 frame counters a few years ago.   By comparing
notes, LUGers realized theirs was not an isolated case, and there was indeed a
problem.  Leica has since fixed the problem, probably in part due LUG protests

> > And if it only occurs once every six months, why should that be a problem?
>
> Well, if it's not a problem, why write ANYTHING about it at all?
>
> > Your response intimidates others from posting "defect" messages
>
> Good!

Wow, I am impressed by your very informed, educated, and scholarly attitude.
Ban anything we don't agree with, YEAH !

> > and if
> > taken to an extreme, ANY kind of message that could be dumped to
> > "it's in the archives and has been covered before", so it's a dead horse.
>
> I think that most people are capable of making the distrinction between
> raising an issue which has been discussed before, either in light of
> something new, or because it was not exhausted before; and raising an issue
> which (a) leads nowhere, (b) generates a lot of inflammatory messages, (c)
> has been exhausted.
>
> M.

That's funny Martin.  I don't think you are thinking at all, if you think you
are the one who can decide what On Topic message are posted to the LUG.   Taking
ourselves a bit too seriously, are we ??

Stephen Gandy