Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 870, 1270
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:26:50 -0500

>At 12:40 PM 4/25/00 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>If you need resolution the Polaroid seems the answer as it is 4000ppi as
>>opposed to 2700 for the Nikon. Thats what I meant when I said "it'll do
>>scans twice the size of the Nikon"
>>Maybe you mean something different for resolution.
>
>This depends on the software, too.  With LaserSoft and the Nikon LS2000,
>you can scan at 5400dpi.
>

>Tina

What really matters is hardware resolution.
Interpolated resolution is not the same.
The Nikon is 2700 pixels per inch, the Polaroid is 4000 pixels per inch.
Its kind of like using 400 speed film or 100 speed film.
At normal print sizes the 400 looks very fine but at larger sizes the100
is better.
The file size one would need to make a given print depends on the size of
the final print and the requirements of the printer (the number of pixels
it needs to make a certain quality print)

Best,

Henry

For anyone who is interested here are some resources for digital work:

http://www.digitaldog.net/tips.html
excellent info,  lots of scanning, color management, etc.-  Andrew knows
his stuff

http://www.cix.co.uk/~tsphoto/
look for his filmscanners section