Subject: [Leica] errant posts
From: "sam" <salex@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:36:07 -0400

> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:54:54 -0400
> From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] <no subject>
>
> sam jotted down the following:
>
>> But buyers who DO get defective equipment SHOULD post it.
>
> Why?  What good does it do to post it to the LUG?  It doesn't remedy his
> problem, it doesn't change Leica's practices, it doesn't have any
> consequences for those going to purchase gear.  It's only function is
> retribution for the poster and annoyance for the rest of us.

You don't speak for ME (and I wonder if you really speak for "the rest of
us"). I didn't feel that the original poster was seeking any retribution. .
he was just commenting ‹ and I wasn't annoyed by the post. I'm more annoyed
by having someone dictate rules and controls.

>> And if it only occurs once every six months, why should that be a problem?
>
> Well, if it's not a problem, why write ANYTHING about it at all?

You miss my point: what I am saying is that if someone posts a defect
only ONCE every six months, why should that irritate you enough to respond
with a directive telling the poster what is appropriate to post on the LUG?

>> and if
>> taken to an extreme, ANY kind of message that could be dumped to
>> "it's in the archives and has been covered before", so it's a dead horse.
>
> I think that most people are capable of making the distinction between
> raising an issue which has been discussed before, either in light of
> something new, or because it was not exhausted before; and raising an issue
> which (a) leads nowhere, (b) generates a lot of inflammatory messages, (c)
> has been exhausted.

Many, many messages on the LUG are made by new members, and are discussed,
often with new and fresh insights and expriences, over and over.  YOUR
narrow guidlines would limit threads to those already made (in the archive,
etc.). Besides, you can easily delete those threads you aren't interested
in. . .including the lone "once-every-six-months-defective-Leica" one that
seemed to tick you off so much. (won't be another 'till late October!).

Sam Alexander