Subject: Re: [Leica] Nokton v. Summilux M : some real (Human Traffic) examples
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:09:55 -0600

I'm struck at the bright out-of focus details in these two images

Summilux:
http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_13/pages/020.html
Nokton: http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/nokton/pages/010.html

Look at how crisp that big white spot is in the Nocton photo! And with
the photo below, how the window details still have sharp (if fat and
transparent) edges to them:

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/nokton/pages/011.html

But if we're talking about a $300 lens versus a $1,000++ one, a few
allowances can be made ;-) Looks like a fine way to keep enjoying those
old screw-mount cameras.

Jeff

Johnny Deadman wrote:
> Location:
> Not my promised rigorous test, but a new set of images from Human Traffic
> all shot with the Summilux-M 50mm.
>
>     http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_13/index.html
>
> The sweetness of this lens is (to me) clear in images 4 and 9. The bokeh is
> on display in image 5.
>
> And to compare, some (mainly) out-takes from the week before, all taken with
> the Nokton. Check out:
>
>     http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/nokton/index.html
>
> As I went through these images I was struck by how sharp and transparent
> this lens is, but in the end it was the bokeh (and in particular the
> distant-field bokeh) that disappointed. You can see what I'm talking about
> in images 3 and 8. In both cases I don't like the way the out-of-focus face
> in teh background is rendered.
>
> Of course, the difference is hardly going to leap out at you on a jpeg, but
> it'll be interesting to see if anyone agrees/disagrees with my verdict.
>
> --
> Johnny Deadman
>
> photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
> music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk