Subject: Re: [Leica] archival quality of XP2 or Tmax400CN
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:34:20 +0100

on 26/4/00 8:10 AM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com wrote:

> But I shot some XP2 once and had an embarrassingly difficult telling it (on
> the
> same head shot shoot) from some Agfapan 25 I lovingly processed myself in
> Rodinal.

That's my experience too. The lack of grain is really disconcerting. Also,
if you're using shitty lenses it becomes very obvious. These are great
films. My main problem is the low standard of minilab processing round here
(scratches and drying marks agogo), and the high price of prolab processing
on C41. These films have a longer tonal scale and straighter (old-fashioned)
curve than almost anything else out there. I haven't tried scanning them but
I always found they printed like a dream. Great on skintones, really great.
Hard to focus, though, if you're used to grain.
- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk