Subject: Re: [Leica] Expectant proud new M6 owner
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:18:34 +0200

Simon Lamb wrote:

> However, I am not
> sure how much I would use the 28mm over the 35mm and 50mm lengths of the
> Tri-Elmar.  It seemed a much more cost effective way of obtaining three
> focal lengths in one lens rather than buy the 35mm f/2 (or the f/1.4)
> and the 50mm f/2.  Perhaps I need a rethink on this.

Simon,

I just came back from Eastern break.
The camera and lenses I took with me (and used every day)
were :

M6TTL 0,72 + Tri-Elmar + 90/2 APO-ASPH.

I used the Tri-Elmar (more or less) 80% @ 50mm, 18% @ 35mm
and 2% @ 28m.
For those 2% I was glad I had the 0,72.(I don't wear glasses)

I had no problem focusing the 90/2 (used it 40% of the time,
mainly portraits).

I used both lenses wide open when it was possible. (Delta
100 and Reala)
They are so good! (save maybe at 28mm @  f/2,8, but that's
less important)
The Tri-Elmar is really a great lens. And the 90/2 !

The only problem is that you have to check the focal ring
all the time to be sure it didn't move slightly.
And very often it does.
:-(

Now, as my only lens for 35 and 50mm, I had never bought the Tri-Elmar.
My favourite lenses are the 35/2 ASPH and the 50/1,4 with
separate hood (same computation as the current one).
Together with the 90/2, I can do everything I want with them.

I really think this is a better start. And with that kit,
the 0,85 is perfect.

Another problem with the Tri-Elmar is its size (almost the
same as the 90/2).
Under a jacket or in a pocket, the M6 + 35/2 are much easier
to carry.
With the Tri-Elmar, you will have to remove the lens and put
the body cap (and loose the readiness).

Lucien