Subject: [Leica] RE: Photo copyright ownership
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:32:51 -0700

Austin is correct.

For photographic copyright info, go to:

http://www.asmp.org/publications/pubs/copyrightguide.html

for complete language.

In short:

Work for hire exist automatically in the case of an employee taking
photographs for the employer. As provided in the copyright law, no
agreements are required. The copyright belongs to the employer.

An independent contractor ("freelancer") can do a work for hire only in
certain circumstances. First, the work must be commissioned, that is
specifically ordered by someone, and if it is commissioned, it can be a
work for hire only if the photograph comes within one of the nine specific
categories enumerated in the copyright act as qualifying for a work for hire:

Contribution to a collective work
Contribution to a motion picture or audio-visual work
Translation Supplementary work
Compilation Instructional text
Test Answer material for a test Atlas

Jim Brick, ASMP