Subject: Re: [Leica] Grün................OFF TOPIC
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:46:10 +1000

Joe Codispoti wrote:

> There is a German word that has haunted me for many years. I hope someone
> among the many on this list who speak German will be able to help.
>
> In certain types of cameras, mainly older Zeiss, at times there are "bumps"
> visible on the surface of the leatherette.
> These protrusions are caused by corrosion of the underlying screw head. The
> corrosion grows over time.
> I recall many years ago someone calling this phnomenon "grün....something",
> a word that I think meant "copper or brass oxide".
> Can someone complete the word in question?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Joseph Codispoti

  Joseph,  the correct word is  "Gruenspan"  (I don't have the u umlaut in my
keyboard, I have to use ue)

It is in english:  "Patina"  The copper oxidizes and the oxide coating turns
this colour.

It is often seen on copper church roofs. It can also be seen on brass, because
of the copper content. But to a lesser extend. It always shows up on my nose
pads of my glasses. I think the sweat does it.

Regards, Horst Schmidt