Subject: Re: [Leica] Up Periscope
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:29:16 -0400

At 04:54 PM 4/27/00 -0400, you wrote:
>My other question concerns the recent thread re: digital printing. I've
>noticed that many of you who've extolled the virtues of digital/Epson
>printing are old hands in the darkroom; perhaps such experience makes one
>appreciate the advantages/disadvantages of the new technology even more.
>Should I explore digital or continue to learn the "craft" in the darkroom?
>Even with only half a year in the darkroom, I have already come to dread the
>testing time, etc. with the chemical tanks; yet I wanted to do darkroom work
>precisely to get away from the computer. I also read with interest the
>comments about the short life of computer equipment vs. the longevity of
>traditional enlargers/tanks -- which I think is all too true. Assuming that
>I can only afford a good Epson printer (which are quite expensive in Korea,
>HP seems to have the market... so I may have to buy it here) but no film
>scanner, can I get good print-outs from PhotoCD scans? I'm also thinking
>about putting up a website in Korea, maybe with some pictures.
>
>Apologies for the unintentionally long post, and thanks in advance.
>
>[Po-Wen]

Hi, Po-Wen -

A belated welcome!  I'm glad you decided to make your presence known!  As
much as I'm enjoying digital printing, I can't advise you to give up
darkroom printing yet. It will be an invaluable experience to learn to
print well in the darkroom.  You won't really know whether you are getting
good digital prints until you know how to produce a good darkroom
print.  You can get into the digital side with the PhotoCD's and a web
site.  If you want to get away from the computer, digital printing is not
the way to do it!  It is almost as addictive as Leica's.  Stay with
learning the darkroom for awhile and by the time you return to the US, the
Epson's will be a dime a dozen (of course, there will be countless upgrades
by then, too!)  I've never been to Korea, but would love to go. Have a
wonderful time and take lots of photos!

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP